Home » Before You Go » Travel Documents For Children

Travel Documents For Children

We are frequently asked for information on what documentation is needed for traveling internationally with children. Although I normally make my husband fill out all the paperwork, here's some additional tips.

First, the required information: All U.S. citizens regardless of age must have their own passport if they are traveling internationally, even to Canada and Mexico.   A Passport Card can be used for auto and ship travel to Canada and Mexico from the U.S. but AAA recommends a passport in the event you have to fly back in.
All first-time applicants , regardless of age, must apply in person at a passport office or acceptance facility. First time applicants under 16 must apply in person with both parents/guardians present or follow Parental Consent guidelines using Form DS-3053. Renewal of passports originally issued to minors must also be done in person. There are special passport requirements for minors under age 16 and for 16- and 17-year-olds and 16 and 17 year-olds must establish parental consent. Read all requirements carefully at the official U.S. State Department website.

When we recently went to renew our children’s passports, the office (in our case at the local DMV) asked us for additional documents which we luckily had with us: original birth certificate and a copy (front and back) of both parents’ drivers’ licenses. The copy of the license can be made (for a small fee, of course) at the passport office but you’ll have to make a trip home if you don’t have the birth certificates. Note: both parents/legal guardians must be present. For those of you planning spring break or summer trips, be sure to check when your child’s passport expires. Our friendly travel documentation expert down hall says:  If the expiration date is within 6 months of your trip, renew before you go. This applies to adults as well. If this sends you into a panic, see below for how to expedite your processing.
In an effort to keep children safe while traveling internationally, many governments require documentation of relationship and permission of the parent(s) or legal guardian not present for the child's travel. If minor children are traveling abroad with or without both parents and guardians, a notarized letter of consent  is a good thing to have. Parents of minor children (under 18 years old) should carefully document legal custody prior to traveling. Be sure to make copies of all of your travel documents and take one set with you and leave a set at home. Happy travels!

AAA Video: What documents to take  
AAA Video: Getting a Passport or Visa   
AAA Video: International Driving Permits 
AAA Video: Travel Insurance & Trip Interruption  

Proof of vaccinations or inoculations  
Lost documents  
Expedited passport processing    
Travisa Visa and passport processing and expediting.  AAA has a partnership with Travisa for visa and passport services offering AAA members preferred rates processing fees.   

Complete international travel planning, including independent and escorted European tours, passport photos and International Driving Permits are available at your local AAA office.